10.13.2008

brown sugar buttons

Every year around this time, I pick up the Simply Homemade booklet which is a free circulation put out by Robin Hood Flour. It's where I originally found my very popular Shortbread Meltaways made with Skor toffee bits. In this years issue, I immediately spotted the very similar, but different, Brown Sugar Buttons.
They are very simple, but also very good. Here's the recipe:
brown sugar buttons
1 cup softened butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups white all purpose flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
icing sugar for decoration
preheat oven to 350 degrees
line cookie sheets with parchment paper
beat butter, brown sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy
add flour and cornstarch and mix until dough forms
roll into 3/4" (2cm) balls, place on cookie sheets and flatten slightly
bake in preheated oven 10 minutes
remove, place on wire rack, and with a skewer poke 4 holes in each cookie
cool and dust with icing sugar
Happy Thanksgiving!

14 comments:

Anna said...

Ooh, they look so cute!

Jessica said...

I love simple cookies like this. They look so yummy, too!

Norm said...

They look gorgeous! I never saw that Robin Hood booklet - it looks a great source of recipes. I didn't realise that that's where the Meltaways came from - I'll always think of them as 'Sandy's Shortbread Meltaways' though!

Philigry said...

oh, yummy! I bet these are good with tea! thanks for the recipe.
have a great thanksgiving!

Kelly-Jane said...

Cute as a button, they look lovely!

Elisabeth said...

I'm with Norm. We call them Sandy's Yummy Cookies. But these look good, and also very cute. A winning combination.

Claudia said...

bring to cookies and I will make some tea...and maybe I will add on the side a few fall strawberries with that :)

Toppo said...

I will have to try those! They look so good.

a friend to knit with said...

i am SO making those!!!
thank you.

Alisha said...

I found this recipe at my mother in laws house in her little booklet and made them a week or so ago. They did not last long and are defiantly on my list for Christmas baking!

molly said...

those are the prettiest little cookies. gotta try them. thanks, sandy.

Amy said...

These were just what I was in the mood for when I saw them over at Leslie's. I just made them and they are great. Thanks for posting the recipe and I can't wait to look through your lovely blog.

kirsten said...

these look fantastic!
i will definitely be giving these a go. :)

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

These look fantastic! I love warm brown sugar ~ yummmmmm