8.13.2009

a christmas tradition in august

every christmas eve, my mom prepares a feast of fish and seafood. sometimes, there are new dishes but there are always a few traditions that remain the same. baccala, or salted cod, is one very important one that appears in a few variations every time. this one here, is my absolute favorite.

it is baked in the oven until golden and lightly crispy around some edges, then flaked and dressed with the most simplest of things: olive oil, garlic and some parsley. it's not everyone's cup of tea, and it usually sits in between my father and i on the table since we are the biggest fans. I could really eat the whole bowl.

i made it last week and the smell and taste honestly made me feel like it was christmas around here. if you'd like the recipe, you can see mama lucy's handwritten one in the picture over here.

now...back to summer!

5 comments:

George said...

That looks amazing Sandy. Isn't it lovely how food can evoke memories.

denise said...

Looks good to me!

Karen said...

That looks so good! I don't think I've ever had salt cod. I'd love to make it one of these days. I bet I would like it.

Larissa said...

yum, i love salted fish - but add crispy edges and garlic and i'm salivating! we fry up latkes with sour cream around here to remind us of the holidays!

Molly said...

Sandy, My Grandmother (on my Mother's side) also made a traditional fish dish, with cod, on Christmas eve. It was considered a 'not meat' day in our Catholic faith, but we have really moved away from that. I thought I'd like to tray it this year -- even though I'm sure the kids won't go for it. Thanks for the reminder. Can't believe I'm already getting excited for the holidays and our leaves haven't even begun to change here in DC.