6.08.2010

change

i've always been up for spontaneous plans, trying new things and dreaming about new adventures. one of the things about being a mother, especially to a child who falls on the autism spectrum, is that change is not always a good thing. structure and normality keep a happy and calm home. and as much as my inner self craves a weekend or day with no plans, or dropping everything to try something completely new and unexpected, it just doesn't work around here. one of the seemingly small, but huge lessons i am learning to keep the peace around here. a little bit like the whole starting as you mean to end lesson i have learned.
needless to say, change has to happen sometimes. but now i find small ways to add things, as opposed to changing much. even moving furniture around here can bother camden. a new pillow, on the other hand, does not seem to offend. thank goodness. and it was time for my couch to be updated a bit.

it freshens up the whole room. and with all the beautiful fabrics out there, it's hard to choose a print.

on my last trip to ikea, i found these pillow inserts that are much fluffier (and cheaper than those foam things i usually get at the fabric store). in this house, they need to stand up to good use. not just resting your head on, but pillow fights, forts, launching over the staircase railings....you get the picture.

i used an amy butler print, but had a hard time debating over some of these, by anna maria horner, too.

1 comment:

Jane said...

I understand your comments about change. My son, Ryan, hates change. So much so, we have to talk days in advance if something new is going to take place. Last year, it all came to a head. A whole host of things played into Ryan's turbulent year. It was awful. Items were broken, terrible words were said, daily tantrums erupted. Ryan has not been diagnosed with anything specific, but my teacher radar, would lead me to believe he probably has a sensory issue. So, I went off line for awhile. I unplugged from my friends, my obligations, my own life and only focused on what was best for Ryan. We used a therapist, and readjusted our approach.
This year has been much better. My older son believes that Ryan gets away with a lot more, but isn't that what the oldest always says? Being in a middle school, where Ryan has the opportunity to move from class to class has been huge for him. It hasn't been easy. My husband, at the beginning, thought we were being "controlled" by Ryan. It took many conversations with the therapist to change his perception about control and getting him to understand that Ryan had NO control over his actions when he was in his "moments."
Just know that you aren't alone in your daily struggles Sandy and that I think of you often.

and btw...love the pillow!