6.21.2010

my dad


when you are young, you sometimes take your parents for granted. and dads that are very strict with their 3 daughters, like mine was, are not really the most popular. my dad may have fallen into this category when i was a teenager, but i didn't have to become a parent to really appreciate him.

this father's day had me really thinking about what kind of dad i have, and how he still makes me feel like he can fix anything and do anything. here are a couple things about carlo:

he took me on my first roller coaster (called the ghoster coaster), and any other thrilling ride my mom and sisters refused to go on with me

he took us camping every year, and before doing any resting after a long drive there and setting up camp, he would search for our perfect marshmallow roasting sticks

he would take me to the farthest edge of the cliff, or the most distant end of a log perched over the water, and would never ever miss catching me if i stumbled

he is the strongest person i know, and used to intimidate any young boy that came anywhere near our house to ride bikes in the summertime

he would also insist on coming right into the gymnasium at the end of the school dances!!!

he moved from italy to montreal in his twenties, without speaking a word of english, and worked hard to create a wonderful life in canada

he later moved to toronto and stayed with a sweet little french canadian family as a border, where he met my mom and stole her heart.

he was a handsome, italian boy that joined the navy and apparently stole many hearts from one continent to another. at least that's what i've been told.

he can fix anything.

he can also find you the best deal for anything.

and he would still move mountains for his 3 girls, and now his 7 grandchildren.

he is infuriating at times, but he loves his family more than anything in the entire world.

6 comments:

snowy said...

What a lovely Dad Sandy. No wonder you're so proud of him. x

Darren said...

How lovely. He did everything right to make you who you are, for which he must be very proud, as you are of him. That's you on the left isn't it =)

Anna said...

That's so touching Sandy - I got a lump in my throat reading it!

Sandy said...

Yep, that's me on the left!

Lisa Roberts said...

What a wonderful father!! I loved reading this, thank you.

Anonymous said...

I am so touched! Thanks for sharing.
Claudia